I understand that the main tags of an object should avoid using semicolons to
make map renderer's life easier, but I don't think only exceptional tags
should use it and think most lists of values should be separated by
semicolon.

Particularly, I don't see how the example given in the page is better.

I.e. How is this:
>  amenity=library
>  library:stock=books;newspapers;recorded_music

better than this?:
>  amenity=library
>  library:stock:books=yes
>  library:stock:newspapers=yes
>  library:stock:recorded_music=yes

As a programmer, I find the first alternative to be easier to handle by a
data consumer. And while it could be slightly easier for a mapper to
visualize the second alternative (and this is debatable), it would take
longer to write it down.

So I definitely disagree with "In general avoid ';' separated values
whenever possible." (as it's said in the wiki right now).
I only agree with avoiding semicolons in "main" tags or in tags that
logically shouldn't have multiple values.

Cheers,
John