My apologize for switching the discussion (so I change the title accordingly) and also for slowly answering.

First, I was not aware of depth=* use recommendation with ford=yes although it is in the wiki for years.

Let me back to Madagascar. We have:

- unpaved road crossing permanent river without specific equipment
ford=yes
surface=unpaved
depth>0

- unpaved road crossing permanent river with specific equipment (usually made of concrete, "radier" in French, not sure on the correct term in English: raft???)
ford=yes
surface=paved/concrete
depth>0

- unpaved road crossing intermittent river without specific equipment
ford=yes
surface=unpaved
depth=0
May we use intermittent=yes/seasonal/flood/winter... to indicate period/frequency submersion?

- unpaved road crossing intermittent river with specific equipment
ford=yes
surface=paved/concrete
depth=0
intermittent?

- paved road crossing permanent river (of course with specific equipment)
ford=yes
surface=paved/concrete
depth>0

- paved road crossing intermittent river
ford=yes
surface=paved/concrete
depth=0
intermittent?

Do we have also to use flood_prone=yes or (ford=yes / depth=0) already imply that it is subject to flooding?

I don't like the wiki page on flood_prone. It is telling that the main difference between ford and flood_prone is the danger aspect. Indeed, looking at illustrations, especially at the third one, I just see a regular ford with depth scale and so on.

I have one last case: some low profile bridge (without parapet) may be submerged after heavy rain but may be still usable if water depth above the bridge in not too high. How to tag this?

Eric