> Getting all places with japanese and chinese cuisine around the globe in
Overpass: http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/7b2
cuisine data is clean is *easy to query right now. *It may get more
complicated at every moment.

Better try to query for "13" in ref="3;10;13;113;133" without loosing your
sanity.
Next day I will add ref="3;10;13;113;133;13E" — will you update your query?

My query will always correct:
"ref"="13"

No matter how many 113 or 13A or 13/1 or 13-1 you may want to add.

OSM is not about writing regexes, it is about defining meaining in
key=values and documenting them at wiki. We did this way before 2010.

Our current tools (JOSM, overpass, taginfo, osmosis, iD, presets in JOSM
and iD, any other sane tool) and documentation (wiki) are key-sentric, not-
*something-in-the-middle-of-value*-centric