First point:
It is good that several people invent, propose and use various schemes.

Second point:
At some point, unification of schemes with similar intent would be great.
As usage grows, having the same kind of data treated differently is a pain
for everyone, mappers, developers, maintainers and data consumers alike.
I don't think one of the schemes is clearly superior to the other, only I
wish that it could be open to discussion, open to improvements and settled.
Once it is agreed upon (or enforced by any committee, anyone?), people can
start to work on unified tagging, clear documentation, adapted presets and
simpler algorithms with less cases or exceptions to handle.

Or it is decided that we continue with the two schemes, that both are
valid, accepted, documented for tagging and consumption.