I don't like to reuse the same ways for both railway and highway. The shape
of the railways follow smooth curves for obvious reasons, whereas cars can
make 90 degree turns. So I'll always keep using separate ways for the tram
rails. One for each direction of travel. And a way in the middle (on the
straight parts) for the highway. An exception to that are dual
carriageways, with the rails embedded, but usually the rails are between
the carriageways in that case.

Jo