On 15/02/2015 01:24, Warin wrote:

What 'landuse' would you say it is? It does not fit in any of the values given on the wiki
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:landuse

There are over 2,900 tagged landuse=religious currently. as shown by the taginfo.

You can't always take taginfo numbers at face value. For example, in the UK much of the usage of "landuse=religious" was introduced by this changeset:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/25035328

That includes many examples such as this one:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/242868714/history

which was previously "landuse=churchyard" but was changed to the less descriptive "landuse=religious". Now it may be that, following a visit, it was clear that for some reason a "landuse=churchyard" tag wasn't appropriate here, and it's possible (but unlikely) that there were visits to similar churchyards the length and breadth of the UK, but I somehow doubt it. I've now asked in a changeset discussion comment what the source of that change was.

It's true however that there are also examples where local mappers have found "landuse=religious" useful:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/way/33098290

That's just "the area around a church building", but isn't really a churchyard as such.

Cheers,

Andy