On the one hand I'm not adding roles to the ways in PT routes relations
anymore, instead I add all the ways in the correct order. Some ways are
included twice.

But if you prefer to add them, you have to know forward/backward relates to
the direction of the way itself. If it follows the arrow: forward, if it
goes against it: backward. If you do it right, JOSM is able to sort your
ways automatically.

If you're still on the v1 scheme, where there is only one route relations
doing a futile attempt to describe all variations, I suggest you switch to
the new scheme where a route_master describes the line and route relations
describe each variation from beginning to end.

This is how we do it in Belgium:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/user/Polyglot/diary/28401

There are some links to Youtube videos included in that article.

Jo