On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 11:08:44AM +0100, Friedrich Volkmann wrote:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/register
>
> This is for books where people enter their names, routes and comments. These
> books are located on peaks, along trails, in buildings and in caves.
> In German we call them Gipfelbuch, Steigbuch, Hüttenbuch, Gästebuch,
> Höhlenbuch, Pilgerbuch, Turmbuch...
> English terminology seems more ambiguous. I took the word that seems most
> common.

As far as I know, this started on Dartmoor in 1854 and is known as
letterboxing. Long before OSM and gps, I visited some of the original
boxes on Dartmoor.

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Letterboxing_%28hobby%29 .

I don't know if any of the Dartmoor boxes are marked in OSM. A very
quick search didn't find anything. I *think* that a very few were
marked on OS maps, and maybe still are. At least, I think that's how
I navigated to them long ago.

ael