On 9/03/2015 1:22 AM, Andreas Goss wrote:
Why do you even bother with a proposal when you bascially don't care about tagging?

I care to get good, if not the best, tags. I try to get ideas for these from the tagging group. I don't care for arguments on a proposal that are not directly relevant to that proposal.

If you want to tag reception_desks in whatever random way then just go ahead and do it.

I don't want a "random way" .. thank you for the derogatory comment.

Then people will see what you used on taginfo when looking for reception and at some point you just make a wiki page with in use.

You really don't care for the tagging group much, do you?

The way I search for a relevant tag is to use the wiki, not taginfo. I suspect many mappers do the same. Using a tag that is not on the wiki will probably mean it is not rendered.. thus I may have wasted my effort. By waving the flag for this possibly new tag, the tag gets improved by thoughtfull comments, advertised, and hopefully approved.

Request For Comments ...
I see this as part of improving the proposal .. not as showing a
complete, fully functional for all possible things, fault free tag. If
only complete fault free and all encompassing tags are to be proposed
then there will be NO tags.
By all means comment on things that could be better ... and hopefully
suggest possible solutions.

Don't think a proposal should have addressed all possible things.. if
they could see the world and all its problems, and then solve them in
the bast possible way .. well OSM would not need proposals .. they would
simply go straight to tags! And there would be no need of the tagging
group.

Criticism that a proposal is incomplete, should have address some issue
.. before being proposed .. will simply discourage people from using the
tagging group at all and going straight to make a tag without
consultation .. leading to a worse situation. People here need to
encourage proposals .. no matter how poor they might think them to be,
to do otherwise is to discourage the use of this group.