> On Mar 12, 2015, at 6:56 PM, SomeoneElse <li...@atownsend.org.uk> wrote:
>
> The "standard" map has an impossible job - trying to be "a nice map"

This is true, and thanks for linking to the resources to set up the server for
a special version.

However, what I would like to see implemented, I think, is not impossible.

Martin mentioned that color can be mapped to a train line - why isn't it
rendered? Setting the color to black for my train lines - even if that made the
zebra black and dark grey - would be an easy step.

Different cultures use different iconography for things - why can't a tag
system for icon be set up to handle regional iconography?

Japan uses a many pointed star for police - I should be able to tell OSM "here
is a reference to an icon to use" and -carto can have an index of icons.

This wouldn't solve issues like rendering of the trunk power lines, but as I've
said the trunk lines are against the style sheet and should be softened anyway.

Additional issues, like the rendering of multiple stop lights per intersection
is fine for most countries, because roads are named. Most of Japan's roads are
unnamed (almost everything below secondary), so navigation by counting lights
and named signals is common, so understanding that regional change requests
(that may not seem like a big deal) are sometimes crucial for map readability
in an area (in this case, a single icon per intersection, with the name when
labeled)

I imagine each country has iconography and small issues that need to be worked
out - that should be a major goal for OSM/-carto to natively support.
There is support for multiple languages - why not multiple icons?

There is no reason why some kind of regional flexibility can't be baked into
the default -carto render. All the world mapping programs have to have this
flexibility if they want popularity, why is OSM/carto different? Google Maps
and Apple Maps are basically a single style sheet, but there are regional
iconography differences.  We should consider it a *basic requirement* of the
tagging/style sheet to have similar flexibility.

If I was a coder, rather than an old Mac Tech now teacher, I would love to
learn the code, however I'm dependent on others in the community to create the
code for such a system.

Javbw