On Wed, 2015-03-11 at 20:14 -0700, Bryce Nesbitt wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 11, 2015 at 7:21 PM, johnw <jo...@mac.com> wrote:
>         In certain countries (such as the one I am in) the thick black
>         line has a single purpose - private train lines. The zebra
>         striped lines -carto uses are for national lines only (JR
>         lines in Japan), and the thick black lines are for private
>         railways (such as most of the Tokyo subway system) that run
>         across the country.
[...]

> -1 for thread hijacking, but

> +1 on the thought.  There ARE regional differences in rendering
> preferences.

-1, I like the idea of OSM maps being consistent on a worldwide basis.
Roads in blue, green, red, orange, yellow, and white mean the same thing
no matter what country we're in. Same with railroads for the most part.
At most I would support one of the alternate styles being
region-specific stylesheets, but definitely not at the expense of the
style we have now that's consistent across the entire planet.

--
Shawn K. Quinn <skqu...@rushpost.com>