On Tue, May 12, 2015 at 3:34 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com
> wrote:

>> In my experience, most places that sell pastries would be better tagged
>> as bakery. Even if they only sell pastries (ie no bread), they do have to
>> bake them, right? :)
>

> I wouldn't tag a place as bakery which doesn't sell bread. This is also in
> line with the osm wiki:
>
> "A *bakery* is a shop selling bread. Bakeries normally bake fresh bread
> on the premises. Normally also sell pastries, cakes, etc. Often do fresh
> sandwiches or baguettes. Often do decorated cakes."
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:shop%3Dbakery
>

> Besides that I am not really happy with the definition there, as it is
> very Britain / central European (German) centric. "Baguettes" or "decorated
> cakes" are particular kind of baked goods that won't be found all around
> the world in bakeries.
>
> The main purpose of a bakery is to make and sell bread.
> Whether they also sell pizza, or what kind of bread they sell, whether
> they also sell sweets, coca cola, milk, flowers, sunglasses or olive oil is
> secondary and should not (IMHO) appear in the main definition.
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

And I would say the OSM wiki definition is wrong (and I tried to change it)
and your experience is regional. I would tag a place selling only "daily"
bread a "bread store" or "bread bakery" on first thought (just like the
shops here refer to themselves in name and ads). In my region, a bakery
foremost sells cakes, pastries, and/or specialty (dessert) breads, more
often than not having no "daily" bread at all. If they mainly sell bread,
"bread" is in the shop name to avoid confusion with what the general
population thinks a bakery is.
The country/region disagreements are why I threw up my hands on the
proposal I created, knowing there was no agreement to be reached beyond the
status quo definition. Despite citing current U.S. and British government,
trade, business directory, and dictionary definitions baking a change,
there were many that stuck with definitions that were more used in the
first half of the twentieth century than now in England and the U.S..
During the debates it also became apparent a number of (but not all) web
language translators also make the same mistake, using past rather than
contemporary usages of some words.
This terminology problem is the main reason I stopped recommending OSM to
non-technical relatives and friends. I knew they would use current U.S.
assumptions on what the terminology of the map meant and would be misled. I
knew they would not use a map that, in their eyes, was inaccurate and
sometimes flat out wrong. They are much better off using Google maps or
Bing to find shops and services. This is also one of a few reasons why I
largely stopped contributing to OSM: why pursue a "scholarly" effort that
is of little use to the people I would most like to share my efforts with.

Murry