I think for most people, especially the more casual ones using ID, it will be easier to map wikipedia tags so I think we should keep it. Long term it would probably be great to have a automated system that just pulls the Wikidata ID when you put in a wikipedia, but I don't think that will happen soon.

Hallo List,

I started mapping wikidata tags some time ago. Those are great because
you can find wikipedia articles in any language you want (not only the
'primary' language) and and plenty of other information which might be
interesting for your project.

Since wikidata will be the center of all Wikimedia wikis it might be
better to link to wikidata items instead of wikipedia article. Thats why
I wonder what you think of deprecating the wikipedia tags (NOT DELETING
any of them) and focus on wikidata tags. Of course there are plenty of
projects which doesn't support wikidata yet but I'm sure if the tags are
there they will follow.

Regards

Thorsten