On 25/05/2015, pmailkeey . <pmailk...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Also knowing the street elevation would give the clue as to which floor was
> 'ground level' - as would a highway linking internal routes to external.

You shouldn't focus on trying to determine the "ground level", as
there are many many buildings that have no reasonable unique answer to
that. Just like with the layer tag, the important thing is to get the
stacking order right, and coherent with the neaby data. When there's a
clear ground level it's nice mnemotechnic to number it "level=0", but
that's optional. Routing and rendering, not labeling.

> Ele would at least tie in with 3D mapping whereas positional info is lost
> with 'level='

To me, ele=* associated to a particular floor sounds awfull. Is it the
altitude of the floor ? Ceiling ? Eye-level ? 3D and indoor mapping is
great, and I wish we had better tools and data model to represent it
in OSM. ele=* could be used as a poor man's Z coordinate for 3d
modeling, but please don't mix it with the concept of building floors.