> The ele tag specifically refers to the height above "sea level". What we
> would want here is a height above "ambient ground level". Overloading "ele"
> in this way would lead to untold confusion and be a recipe for disaster.

yes (//nit-pick on: actually it is height in wgs84, to have a universal
system for the globe, in practise we'll often have numbers that people read
of a sign, and those are rarely in wgs84 but in a national height reference
system (typically they use a height reference referring to the medium sea
level for a given point of a sea relatively close to them //nit-pick off)

In architecture you usually have the elevation of the finished ground floor
(or raw, but the finished one is easier for mappers, or a given point on
the road in front) at a given point (can be the main room, but can also be
a point after the entrance, will depend on the situation / complexity of
the building) referenced to the absolute height reference system. This will
then be considered ±0,00 and everything else can be expressed as relative
height refering to this local zero-point.

IMHO we should do it similarly (at least in the editor, if there was
perfect editor (and db) support for 3D it might also make sense to have
everything in absolute heights and people could see local heights refering
to arbitrary points they choose).

Cheers,
Martin