http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Wikidata

>>> * For data consumers wanting to show the wikipedia article (by far the
>>> most common usecase), using the wikipedia tag is much more
>>> straightforward than using the wikidata tag
>>
>> Except when the Wikipedia article has been moved and the old name reused.
>
> I had also mentioned rename issues. Why leave that sentense out of the
> quote and then restate it ?

You wrote "using the wikipedia tag is much more straightforward than
using the wikidata tag (leaving the language and renames issues to
more meticulous data consumers)"; my point apllies to all reusesrs,
bnit just the "more meticulous".

> Of course ignoring renames and not taking advantage of the API to find
> the translated article is a bad thing, and no consumers should do
> that... But in the real world, most consumers will use the wikipedia
> tag instead. Because it's obvious, and because a simple regexp-replace
> will give you the url to forward the user to, instead of having to
> query so wikidata REST api. And when those consumers eventually
> encounter an OSM object that has a wikipedia tag but not wikidata,
> they'll display nothing.
>
> Which is why we should keep wikipedia tags (along with the
> human-friendly IDs).

But as already shown, Wikipedia tags have a higher-rate of link rot.

> And when both wikipedia and wikidata tags are
> present, we can QA that they are in sync (just like we currently QA
> that website an wikipedia are not 404).

Who will do that QA?

> Speaking of stable ids, how does wikidata handle renames,

Links from the Wikidata item are updated.

> merges and splits on the wikipedia side ?

New bridging items are created.

> Even in the best-case scenario, it
> seems that an OSM wikidata tag can drift off-target following
> reorganisations that are correct from a wikimedia POV but not from an
> OSM POV.

Example?

--
Andy Mabbett