On 26 May 2015 at 00:35, moltonel 3x Combo <molto...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 25/05/2015, Andy Mabbett <a...@pigsonthewing.org.uk> wrote:
>> "On 25 May 2015 at 22:18, moltonel 3x Combo <molto...@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> How do you link to a wikidata label in an OSM tag ? One that never
>>> suffers from renaming ? As far as I know, we can/should only use
>>> wikidata ids, which are stable but not user friendly.
>>
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Wikidata
>
> I see nothing there that enables using a wikidata label in an OSM tag.
> The only reference to labels is a javascript library that does the API
> calls for you, which is a completely different usecase.

You don't "link to a Wikidata label", you link to a Wikidata item.

>>> merges and splits on the wikipedia side ?
>>
>> New bridging items are created.
>
> Interesting. Where can I find examples and doc ?

Ask on Wikidata's "Project chat".

>>> Even in the best-case scenario, it
>>> seems that an OSM wikidata tag can drift off-target following
>>> reorganisations that are correct from a wikimedia POV but not from an
>>> OSM POV.
>>
>> Example?
>
> An hypothetical example:

I was asking for a real example.

> a hotel that includes a restaurant. OSM uses
> two objects from the begining, both linked to the single wikidata
> article that talks about the hotel as a whole.

OSM should only link the hotel item to the Wikipedia article.

> The restaurant later
> gets spun off as an independent business and get its own wikidata item
> (either a split or a new one), but OSM still links to the "hotel as a
> whole" wikidata item.

This is no different to a new Wikipedia article being created.

> Does wikidata have some tricks up its sleeve to reliably deal with
> that kind of problem ?

No. Does a highway system have a "trick up its sleeve" for when a new
road is built, that OSM doesn't yet know about?

--
Andy Mabbett
@pigsonthewing