There's a lengthy discussion going on polish forum about using motorway/trunk tagging for our main highways:

http://forum.openstreetmap.org/viewtopic.php?id=31488

It looks that whatever solution we will choose, there's no clear mapping between OSM and country-level classification of highways, so it makes sense to tag them also with well-known and complete local scheme, which could be written down like:

highway:class:pl=S/A/GP/G
highway:category:pl=2/4/6/7 (the number is the same as the corresponding admin_level)

I'd like to know if this scheme works also for some other (still probably not all) countries, so we could also use:

highway:class:xx=*
highway:category:xx=*

as a general local-level classification scheme?

--
"The train is always on time / The trick is to be ready to put your bags down" [A. Cohen]