The interest of this overly complicated specification is that it makes developers life easy ;) Obviously, it has to stay in phase with the way opening_hours is really used. So if the separator is not used, it will be removed from YoHours. Note that this optional separator is also readable by "opening_hours evaluation tool" [1], which seems to be a reference.

[1] http://openingh.openstreetmap.de/evaluation_tool/