Friday 21 August 2015 13:29:37, Simon Poole:
> BTW while it is still work in progress (now mainly because the android
> UI isn't finished yet)
> https://github.com/simonpoole/OpeningHoursParser is a JavaCC based
> parser which attempts to implement the full spec, undoubtedly I've
> probably missed one or two special cases, but it is fairly complete.
>
> It currently successfully parses 108'455 of 122'100 test strings (with
> some relaxation of rules) of those that fail 10'569 seem to be valid
> lexical errors and a large part of the remaining errors seem to have
> other issues. The test strings were extracted from the OSM database
> (nodes only).

Cool. Maybe OsmAnd could implement it in the future.

> As you say the specification itself is overly complicated (the
> "optional" colon is not really a problem, except that it is not really
> clear where it is allowed, there is some further similar fuzziness wrt
> comments) and definitely shouldn't have more stuff added to it (with
> perhaps the exceptions of adding further variable dates and similar things).

There should be an easy to understand guide, that's meant for mappers and not
only for developers. I've written a tutorial for the basics[1] but everything
should be described clearly (not necessarily example-based).

Because I know that by saying "there should be" on the mailing lists nothing
will happen, I created a draft in my userspace[2]. I invite everyone that is
interested in clearing this mess to join me. You can just change the page, no
need to ask me for permission.

There is too much information on the page, so I moved some content to subpages.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:opening_hours/Tutorial
[2] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:M!dgard/Key:opening_hours

--
The field "from" of an email is about as reliable as the address written on the
back of an envelope.

Use OpenPGP to verify that this message is sent by me. You can find my public
key in the public directories, like pool.sks-keyservers.net.