On 2015-08-04 14:57, Dave F. wrote :
> Hi
>
> wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Key:contact
>
> I remember a discussion a while back about this. As the page makes no
> mention of the logic behind, could someone please remind me of the
> reasoning & advantage over straight forward phone, fax, website etc.
The contact prefix makes it clear that it's a contact and keeps them
grouped alphabetically.
Without it, one can wonder what diaspora is or difficultly find contacts
in a long tag list.
Also, contact:website is not exactly the same as website which could
contain no contacts at all.

It's similar to, for example, bicycle=yes.
Many persons use it meaninglessly, not as a override of a restriction.
They probably didn't read the documentation and they tag similarly to
what they see.
They probably believe that it means a road nice for biking or with a
cycle lane.
If we used the full form *access:bicycle=yes*, as Conditional
restrictions
<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Conditional_restrictions> explains,
the meaning would be clearer and the mistake would probably be avoided.

Cheers

André.