I wrote a more detailed response on another thread - but i think it easily
boils down to landuse=religious is for a POW and its amenities. That can be
checked by two things:

-it is a single (named) landuse whose main function or main building is
religious in nature, usually with a POW tag on that particular building or
feature.

- Any other amenities present, no matter how varied, are okay to be there on
that single land use if they are *in support of* the worshippers or the
visitors of the POW(s).

This feels very straightforward to me, because it is dependent on what is
there, and intended purpose, not merely who holds the deed. (Duck tagging!)

Land ownership itself is not important - an apartment is just an apartment with
church as operator or something.

A dedicated apartment for monks at a remote temple facility (with a single name
and a wall around it) would be on landuse=religious - it clearly meets the the
two things above. the baseball diamond near the river and the sports grounds
nearby my school are wholly owned by my school (therefore the temple), but
easily fail the two criteria above. They are marked as sports pitches in OSM,
operator=[the school] and access=private

Because of the varied nature of religious facilities - POWs with a wide variety
of things on their landuse - landuse=religious needs to be somewhat flexible -
there are always odd examples (tire center on church grounds next to the
church) but the basic criteria of the two rules make it easily understood that
"this is a religious facility and its amenities" just like any other retail /
industrial / commercial / residential facility - Just as Costco is a warehouse
store... With a pharmacy, food court, and tire center and gas station. It is
odd to have a supermarket/warehouse with a tire installation center or gas
station, but that is what it is.

Many houses and most large buildings - especially industrial ones - have a
small shinto shrine in the far corner of the lot, thanking the spirit of the
land the drop forge is on for letting them use the land and not causing them
trouble (AFAIK).

This small shrine (the size of a desk or shed) is an amenity of the industrial
complex - so it sits on Landuse=industrial.

I an not trying to say that this makes a little square of landuse=religious
necessary nor the enitre complex marked as "religious" is because merely there
is a shrine there. Otherwise almost all Japanese houses would be considered
religious because of the small "house shrine" found in most single family
homes. It is clearly mot the purpose of the structures & land.

But if you are tagging a religious facility with known land area around, yes, I
expect landuse=religious around it, just like you would tag retail around a
convenience store or industrial around a small metal parts fabrication company.

Javbw