On 20/09/2015, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdre...@gmail.com> wrote:
> what about a map that shows the route and is placed on the ground, eg at the
> start of the route (let's say the map is in the public domain)?

To me that's a (partially) waymarked trail and is absolutely fine.

> Or signposted QR codes? This has recently become quite popular here, but
> without a smartphone (technical equipment) you can't verify the information.

I'm assuming you're talking about a lone QRcode somewhere (at the
trailhead ?) and not a QRcode printed beside each waymarks or designed
to be itself a recognizable waymark (in which case the fact that there
is a QRcode is secondary).

Otherwise, it depends. Is it really a QRcode standing there without
human-readable (and osm-worthy) context ? What prompted you to scan
it, potentially following a malware link ? Does the QR encode a url or
an actual gpx/geojson/etc file ? IMHO a standalone QRcode pointing to
a url is not mapworthy. Especially in today's world where it is so
easy to print one and stick it somewhere, it has no more authority
than a spray-painted graffiti.