Andy Townsend wrote on 2015-10-22 12:46:
On 22/10/2015 11:18, Colin Smale wrote:

On 2015-10-22 11:27, Andy Townsend wrote:

I'd agree with that.  I can think of more than a few examples of "the road/path used
to go here, but now it doesn't", and even if the imagery gets updated, underlying
GPS traces won't.
Has anyone thought of a way of limiting returned GPS traces to a certain date
range? So you can look at traces since or before a certain change in the road
layout?

It's tricky, since the traces involved aren't just the OSM ones - they also
include Strava and potentially others.

With regard to OSM ones, in JOSM you can get information on some traces trace-by-trace,
but it's a bit clumsy to use regularly. Traces in P2 and iD's "GPS traces
tiles" such as http://gps-b.tile.openstreetmap.org/lines/15/16256/10660.png via
https://github.com/ericfischer/gpx-updater are one-way I believe - GPS traces
go in, but never come out.

In JOSM you can filter the loaded GPX tracks by date. In the layer list,
right-click the GPX data,
select the funnel icon "choose visible tracks". It provides you with a slider
mode to select a
specific from-to date range. Very useful when the road layout has changed, e.g.
a roundabout been built.

(in this context, the InfoMode plugin provides you further information about
tracks and trackpoints interactively.)
tom