On 2015-10-25 07:44, GerdP wrote :
Hi all,

up to now I've used tunnel=culvert
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tunnel=culvert
like this:
1) JOSM warns that a waterway and highway are crossing
2) I split the waterway into 3 parts and add
tunnel=yes, layer=-1 to the short one in the middle (or
split the road and add bridge=yes,layer=1)
I keep the stream at layer=-2, I add the culvert in an additional small way segment on top at layer -1 and both are crossing the road which is at layer=0.
This keeps the stream at layer=-2 from spring to end, which is perfectly correct and convenient.
A Nominatim search of a JOSM selection shows the whole stream and not stupid pieces.

I never understood the remark "it is not necessary to not split, one can consolidate splits in relations (easy, isn't it)".  To me, it is "it is not necessary to split".  Why not avoid splits in the first place?
The same can be done for bridges which are in fact pieces of concrete under the uninterrupted tarmac foil and not an interruption (split) of the road.

I once wrote an OVERLAY suggestion (to be discussed, that I much improved since) that generalizes the principle of an overlay way segment that, in one of its usages, applies tags such as speed limit to a segment of the highway. Roads, as seen by an editor, Nominatim etc., are kept unsplit but the programs that do not want to deal with the overlay segments can prepare the OSM data by using the overlay ways to split the main ones, discarding them and continue with the same logic as presently.
In a second usage, it can avoid a hiking route that is using a main highway over 50m before leaving it to split that main highway.

André.