Andre wrote: "I once wrote an OVERLAY suggestion (to be discussed, that I
much improved since) that generalizes the principle of an overlay way
segment that, in one of its usages, applies tags such as speed limit to a
segment of the highway."

Now that is an idea I love. Splitting roadways to create a bridge or a
section with more or fewer lanes or a different speed limit is a big job
and there is no easy way to automate it. Adding an overlay to sections of
road seems like a wonderful solution similar to the man_made=bridge idea.
Where is your original proposal located?

However, your method of putting an entire waterway at layer=-2 seems a bit
bold and goes against common usage.  It may be convenient but how can you
claim it's correct? The layer entry in the Wiki states:
"

   - Use the smallest suitable layer value. Only use layer=2 for a bridge
   that passes over a feature that is already at level 1; similarly only use
   layer=-2 for a tunnel that passes below another tunnel. For convenience
   some higher values are often locally used/reserved for very long bridges or
   underground networks where it is assumed that they are above/bellow most
   other crossings/objects in the area.

Cheers,
Dave

On Tue, Oct 27, 2015 at 5:08 AM, Ian Sanders <iansan5...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Can you send an example of that culvert tagging? Generally the tunnel and
> bridge tags should be on the way that the tunnel or bridge is made for.
>
> On Mon, Oct 26, 2015 at 5:08 PM André Pirard <a.pirard.pa...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> On 2015-10-25 07:44, GerdP wrote :
>>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> up to now I've used tunnel=culvert
>> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:tunnel=culvert
>> like this:
>> 1) JOSM warns that a waterway and highway are crossing
>> 2) I split the waterway into 3 parts and add
>> tunnel=yes, layer=-1 to the short one in the middle (or
>> split the road and add bridge=yes,layer=1)
>>
>> I keep the stream at layer=-2, I add the culvert in an additional small
>> way segment on top at layer -1 and both are crossing the road which is at
>> layer=0.
>> This keeps the stream at layer=-2 from spring to end, which is perfectly
>> correct and convenient.
>> A Nominatim search of a JOSM selection shows the whole stream and not
>> stupid pieces.
>>
>> I never understood the remark "it is not necessary to not split, one can
>> consolidate splits in relations (easy, isn't it)".  To me, it is "it is not
>> necessary to split".  Why not avoid splits in the first place?
>> The same can be done for bridges which are in fact pieces of concrete
>> under the uninterrupted tarmac foil and not an interruption (split) of the
>> road.
>>
>> I once wrote an OVERLAY suggestion (to be discussed, that I much improved
>> since) that generalizes the principle of an overlay way segment that, in
>> one of its usages, applies tags such as speed limit to a segment of the
>> highway. Roads, as seen by an editor, Nominatim etc., are kept unsplit but
>> the programs that do not want to deal with the overlay segments can prepare
>> the OSM data by using the overlay ways to split the main ones, discarding
>> them and continue with the same logic as presently.
>> In a second usage, it can avoid a hiking route that is using a main
>> highway over 50m before leaving it to split that main highway.
>>
>> André.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand