I thought levels are just relative to one another. So we just need to
indicate which "way" is above the other. This could be with numbers
1000 and 1001 as well as 0 and 1 or -2 and 5.

It's just by convention that tunnels are typically mapped as -1
(except for building_passages under houses) and bridges as 1 (or 2,
... when there are multiple bridges).

For me they have nothing to do with ground level.

regards