On Tue, Jan 26, 2016 at 1:14 PM, Warin <61sundow...@gmail.com> wrote:

> layer=-1 to me says this is below natural ground level. And here that is
> not the case - the road is above natural ground level and that should be
> tagged layer=1 .. to be absolutely technically correct.
>
>  But many use the layer=-1 on culverts as a convenience of less work.
>
> tunnel=building_passage
>>>
>> I am not understanding where that tag would be applied. What would be
>> tagged this way?
>>

> The convention it to tag what is inside the tunnel. Similar to a bridge
> where what is on the bridge carries the tag.

According to the wiki:

Layer provides absolutely no information about relative or absolute height
difference of objects which do not immediately cross or overlap. A change
in layer should not be used to indicate a change in elevation. A bridge is
at layer 1 even if it is only several feet above sea level while the peak
of Mount Everest is at layer 0 even though it is 8848 meters above sea
level.

Negative values do not imply that object is underground, use location
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:location>=underground
<https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/w/index.php?title=Tag:location%3Dunderground&action=edit&redlink=1>
for
this purpose.

Since it is a culvert, going under a road, I use layer=-1. If you tag it
layer=1, then you are saying the stream is above the road. Which might be
correct in some instances, but looking at the picture, it looks like it
goes under the road. If you call the slab of concrete a bridge, then
layer=1 would be correct.

Clifford

--
@osm_seattle