Fuzzy boundaries do have their place. Currently we use sharp boundaries for
landuse, but often the boundary is really fuzzy. A wooded area would be a
good example of a where a fuzzy boundary might be employed. But the
fuzziness of a wooded area may only be a few meters. The fuzziness
of "Shakespeare Country" is completely different.

I agree that there are advantages to including fuzzy boundaries, but we
should first document how to tag these features.

On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Colin Smale <colin.sm...@xs4all.nl> wrote:

> If we can't mark polygons as fuzzy, then we can only allow 'accurate'
> polygons. Then we are back to square one, with no way of accommodating
> these regions except for a simple node.
>
> I think the problem is clear (how do we represent regions whose boundaries
> are not precisely defined). Time to talk about solutions.
>
> The status quo is without any guidelines, possibly leading to random
> creativity according to the whim of the mapper concerned.
>
> Another option is to not do it, to say such things have no place in OSM,
> and actively reject any attempt to do so (i.e. if anyone dares to put "Pays
> de Bray" or "Shakespeare Country" into OSM, the objects will be deleted and
> the mapper admonished).
>

> Or we go for the single-node approach, and lose out on any clues about the
> extent of the area concerned.
>
> Or we accept "best-guess" polygons with "incremental refinement."
>
> Any offers?
>
> //colin
>
> On 2016-03-27 21:36, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:
>

> sent from a phone
>
> Am 27.03.2016 um 21:16 schrieb Anders Fougner <anders.foug...@gmail.com>:
>
> Did you already consider a fuzzy tag (such as fuzzy=yes or
> boundary_fuzzy=yes)?
>

> that's a makeshift which isn't quite elegant and still has similar
> problems (things that seem to be in might be out and vice versa).
>

> cheers,
> Martin

@osm_seattle
osm_seattle.snowandsnow.us