Den 27. mars 2016 19.00.18 CEST, skrev Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@gmail.com>:
>On Sun, 27 Mar 2016 09:50:21 -0700
>Clifford Snow <cliff...@snowandsnow.us> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Mar 27, 2016 at 9:18 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer
>> <dieterdre...@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>> > I agree that a rough polygon seems better than a node because it
>> > allows to estimate the size (a new relation datatype would even be
>> > better, like a collection of (existing/already mapped) things
>> > inside (role) and outside (role) that would serve the same purpose
>> > but make it clear that it is only an estimate / that there aren't
>> > clear borders anyway).
>> >
>> > I don't like boundary=informal though. It should be something more
>> > verbose regarding what kind of region this is (natural/geographic,
>> > (low) mountain range, area of lakes, forest, desert, plains,
>> > cultural, ethnographic, wine, etc.)
>> >

>> A while back one of the conversations on the mailing list was about
>> adding neighborhood boundaries. There was a lot of concern that many
>> neighborhood boundaries are not clearly define which would result in
>> boundary disputes. How is adding a rough boundary for an informal
>> area any different?
>>
>> Worse, if we start adding informal boundaries I can see someone
>> wanting to add the Cascadia [1] (Independance Movement) boundary.
>>

>> [1]
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cascadia_%28independence_movement%29
>>
>> Clifford
>>

>Given that idea of tagging natural=bay as polygons is controversial I
>am not expecting this to be a good idea.
>
>Areas with completely undefined borders should not be stored in OSM.

If I understand correctly what you mean (?), I completely disagree.
Maps are really useless if they cannot contain names of such features that are
hard to define the borders of (bays, cliffs, seas, neighborhoods, etc.).
Where's the border of e.g. the North Sea, the Bay/Gulf of Bothnia, and
Skagerrak, and why should they not be on the map? (they are probably indicated
on every useful map of northern Europe or Scandinavia)

Anders