> On Jun 15, 2016, at 11:11 PM, Andy Townsend <ajt1...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> So tag the different characteristics (surface, width, etc.), and let
> renderers decide whether to render the difference or not?
>
> I have to say I'm really struggling to see the problem here.

Hmm..

Why is a tertiary rendered differently from residential? Is the road itself
fundamentally different? Not really. Its rendering shows us what to expect, in
the broadest possible terms.

Why is a cycleway rendered differently? Is it reflecting its legal status or
its assumed condition that it is made for bicycles? Would you expect to find
random staircases in a cycle path?

People have different expectations of conditions based on its classification.

Would you expect to find  rocks the size of footballs jutting out of a
sidewalk? For it to suddenly vary in width wildly and randomly for its entire
length?  Perhaps a section where you have to balance on a log to cross a
difficult bit to get into a grocery store?  Horse manure on your jogging track
around the school? Ankle deep mud on your walk between the parking lot isle and
the foot court in the mall?

People would complain bitterly about whoever made the path in the rose gardens
have a spot where you swing your legs over an onerous Boulder in the middle
they couldn't dig a trail over.

All of these would be expected and routine conditions found on all but the
smoothest and most well maintained of trails - and expected by users of trails.

Conversely, 4cm uneven pavement can knock an old lady over. I would never have
to look for blazes, spray painted markings, or ducks to make sure I am still on
the walkway through a city park around a playground.

All of these separate things can be defined - like the length of my fingers or
the size of my feet - but none of them really define what species it is.
Concrete walkways through a rose garden and a backcountry trail are different
species of foot path. They may occasionally share some characteristics - but
they are different as a trunk road to a residential road - massively different
expectations. The cut-through in a field made by joggers along a fence may be
pretty flat and easy to walk, but they are not the same species as a sidewalk
or compacted path through a temple.

I don't know what else to say, I have ran out of examples and analogies to
illustrate my opinion.

Javbw.