On 14 July 2016 at 01:45, Bjoern Hassler <bjohas...@gmail.com> wrote:

> First question: operator. Should this be "Transport for London" or the
> actual operator? TfL owns and retains branding control, but technically it's
> franchised to London Overground Rail Operations (LOROL) and KeolisAmey
> Docklands Ltd., who are the current operators. However, the franchise may
> change every few years.

See:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:operator#Owner_or_brand_name_aren.27t_necessarily_the_operator

You should tag operator=* with the actual operator, which in your case
would be either London Overground Rail Operations or KeolisAmey
Docklands Ltd.  This is despite the fact that the franchise may change
every few years: if and when it does, the values of operator=* should
be updated.

I would recommend also tagging "brand=Transport for London".  Refer to
the brand=* wiki documentation; in particular, the distinction
mentioned in said documentation between name=*, brand=* and
operator=*.

> Second question: network. The wiki page
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/London_public_transport_tagging_scheme
> doesn't say much about "network", and these values are in use:
>
> - London Underground
> - National Rail
> - Network Rail
> - London Overground
> - TfL
> - District and Hammersmith & City Lines)
>
> I would propose to retain the first four, but to change the last two to
> London Underground/Overground/DLR as appropriate. Not sure why that list
> doesn't have DLR, maybe it wasn't picked up by my query.

The exact values to use in network=* are generally region specific, so
this point can be discussed in talk-gb-london without involving us.
(:

--K