This is interesting and closely related to the question how we tag, on
two-way roads, continuous middle lines (or double continuous middle lines)
that imply continuous stretches of road with "no-u-turn", no
passing/overtaking, and "no-left-turn" (in countries with right-hand
traffic).
In addition there seems to be countries (I am not sure) where u-turns are
generally forbidden on certain classes of roads.
Why do we not use u_turn=no on highways, similar to the overtaking tag? I
am also wondering why "overtaking" in reality is not frequently use either,
worldwide only 40,000 tags.