Javbw
> On Mar 21, 2017, at 6:40 PM, Jherome Miguel <jheromemig...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Why long names appear on Starbucks stores in Japan when seen on Google Maps
> is that the data there is from a third-party map provider, i.e. ZENRIN.
> Google discourages such locators as messy, like what you stated, and
> descriptive, but they kept the data from ZENRIN as they are on the original,
> though the map data may conflict with Google Maps POI naming guidelines.

That was my guess too - but the Zenrin data seems to be the old "square" POI
pin that is uneditable. In the last 18months they have a new series of pins
that sit over the old "square" POI pins that seem to pull from a different
database. Those are editable by users, and often have better names. The his
leads me to guess they are from a different data provider - or cleaned up like
Apple Maps.

A good example of this is a 7-11 near my house. They have been remodeling the
7-11s by building a new one behind the old one, then tearing down the old one
to give the new one a bigger parking lot than it had before.

https://goo.gl/maps/ZWiPrLEB6CH2

I can't edit the old "square" POI, nor report it as an error, but I can fully
edit the new one.

Seeing as the new one has a long name - maybe you are right! But there seems to
be two different POI databases in use.

Is the Google Maps guideline to cut off the "branch" location name, leaving
only the brand name?

I know this isn't the google maps tagging list, but I didn't know that that was
a guideline.

Javbw.