> > building=* has never been about "purpose" though, it is about
> architectural
> > type (form, shape, function, structure, etc.). The purpose is what leads
> > (amongst other criteria) to choosing an architectural type, so there is a
> > link between the two, and it seems this might be creating some confusion.
>
> I see you saying this another time, but I doubt it's as common opinion
> as you make it to appear.

it is a long standing definition in the wiki (almost from the beginning of
the building tag) and it is still there:
"Buildings can simply be building=yes or use a value that describes the
building typology, for example building=house, building=hut,
building=garage, building=school. See building=* for a more complete list
of options and have a look at what is actually used. "

> Using "purpose" for building differentiation is quite standard in
> mapping (to name a few - BDOT Polish topographic maps, all the
> different cadastre maps and so on. And that's how I've seen it used in
> OSM, too.

it is clear that in a project like OSM and with a key that is used millions
of times, there will also be some outliners, but I don't think the best way
is to encourage ignoring the standing definition. If you need a key for the
function in a building (i.e. the current purpose), invent a different tag
(although usually you already have this covered with amenity, man_made
etc.).

Cheers,
Martin