Hi Phil,

> The main issue with stop positions is that they cannot be associated with
> a route, the position will depend on which platform the train is routed
> through and the length of the train. The best OSM can do is route to the
> station and then its look at, or wait for, the information boards.

Sure I agree. Though somehow the route needs to have a (logical) stop
position, node (as stop): "The order of the members in the relation should
be identical to the order in the timetable." Do you agree?

But yes - what do you do if a rain route goes through a station, where the
rails temporarily split into several tracks? Where is the stop position for
that route? Clearly in that case stop_positions on the route cannot be
associated with platforms in the station, and full routing is not possible.

While it's not possible in general, for some stations (e.g. tube stations),
clearly stop_positions could be associated with platforms.

Bjoern