Am 16.05.2017 um 23:42 schrieb John Willis:
On May 16, 2017, at 4:29 PM, Tobias Wrede <l...@tobias-wrede.de> wrote:

May I suggest to focus the proposal on the frontend for now?
The front end is the most difficult part, and having a proposal that covers the
chain and many permutations is important.

For example, I would _never_ go to a UPS sort facility to ship a package, but I
imagine some do in other countries.
In that respect UPS is not any different from a supermarket or a dry cleaner. You go to the shop=supermarket or shop=dry clener but not Tesco's warehouse or the central dry cleaning facility.

But tagging a giant commercial warehouse with a package window as
"shop=courier" seems wrong.
If they have a package window I would definitely tag that with shop=courier, but not the whole warehouse.

People may come to the courier=* wiki page to tag a courier's warehouse that
they see their package is at. Being able to tag it is important. I have added
regional_hub warehouses in google Maps when I find my package is first accepted
into the tracking system there. People search for where those facilities are
all the time.
So that's why a propose shop or amenity. That's clearly the place a regular customer goes. The warehouse/sorting hub could get a building=warehouse or whatsoever. Taggers should be able to make that differentiation. They don't tag the cold storage warehouse around as supermarket, either.
After thinking about it a bit, I think we should limit this to
non-freight/logistics and create a separate logistics=*for trucking/freight/etc
later. But you should be able to tag a commercial warehouse as part of the
courier=* tag.

IMHO The problem at hand is how does a regular OSM user find a courier. At least for me I need a courier less often than a supermarket but significantly more often than a pharmacy. So from my viewpoint we should really focus on the shop aspect for now. You now suggest to later introduce a logistics=* structure. I think in the backend the distinction between courier and freight services gets more complicated to not doable. I would really like to not think about that at all for now.

Tobi