On Sun, May 21, 2017 at 8:46 PM, Mark Wagner <mark+...@carnildo.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 21 May 2017 22:23:12 +0900
> John Willis <jo...@mac.com> wrote:
> >
> > Warning signs - not restriction signs - such as stop ahead, curve
> > ahead, falling rock, animals, etc do present a chance for the
> > presence of the sign's node to offer a notice to whatever is parsing
> > the way Data and present that to the driver/user when in proximity to
> > said warning.
> >
> > "Stop ahead" signs in Japan are really strong  in some places
> > because perpendicular roads meet in rice fields where people may be
> > used to being on the road with others stopping for them. Having the
> > mapped sign *could* be beneficial to a way because the warning is
> > usually for that spot.
> >
> > https://www.flickr.com/photos/javbw/11091338426/in/album-
> 72157638113676925/
> >
> > (To-ma-re, like putting S-T-O-P on 4 signs before the triangle-shaped
> > stop sign)
> >
> > But even that could be a property of the way rather than inferred by
> > the point proximity of the sign (because I assume the sign node  will
> > be placed with precision not where it is actually located, rather
> > than on road's way, because this is micromapping, after all)
>
> This use of warning signs runs into the problem that data consumers
> don't have a good way of figuring out which signs go with which
> directions of which roads.  Yes, the 90% solution is to say "the sign
> is associated with the road it is closest to, and the direction of
> travel corresponding to the side of the road it is on", but there are
> exceptions, both common and unusual.

Node could be in a way.
Way has a direction
We can use forward and backward keys, and also side=right/left/both to
orient the traffic_sign.

> Probably the most common exception in the United States is "no
> passing" signs (a common pattern is to have the sign on *both* sides of
> the road, so that someone in the process of passing a large truck will
> still see it), and the second-most-common is advisory speed limit signs
> placed on the outside of the corresponding curve.  Various
> clarification signs in close proximity to confusing intersections would
> have issues with "which road" rather than "which direction".

If the node is in a specific way this sign belongs to that way

> Warning signs are something that data consumers could certainly make
> use of, but we need some way of explicitly coding which direction of
> which road they apply to.

Is not enough to belong to a specific way or to have it closest?

Salut i senyals de trànsit (Good health and traffic signs
yopaseopor

Libre
de virus. www.avast.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>