Hello Alberto,

I like your remarks and would like to work together to improve things.

On 2017-06-14 19:06, Viking wrote:
>> in OsmHydrant [1] there is already fire_hydrant:coupling_type with various
>> values from Storz to Barcelona
>> (https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/fire_hydrant:coupling_type). Then
>> there is fire_hydrant:couplings to complement that, describing the > actual
>> connectors: https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/fire_hydrant%3Acouplings
>>
>> This implementation might not be the best for various reasons, but we could
>> consolidate its structure/values if needed.
>>
>> [1] https://www.osmhydrant.org/en/
> It is a bad implementation: first of all because there is no reference on
> hydrants wiki page (and indeed I didn't know it) and consequentely there is a
> wide range of heterogeneous values that are almost useless for automatic data
> search.
> By the way, let's try to improve these existing tags.
> fire_hydrant:coupling_type indicates the standard (UNI, Storz,...)
> fire_hydrant:couplings indicates the number and diameters.
> Right?
Right!

> First question: is it possible that the same hydrant has different coupling
> types, for example Storz and UNI? I know that in Italy, where I work as
> fireman, this is not possible, so a single value in
> fire_hydrant:coupling_type is enough.
In Austria I've only seen hydrants with one connector type (mostly Storz). S
> Second question: how would you indicate the number of couplings? For example
> an hydrant with two UNI 45 mm couplings and one UNI 70 mm coupling would be:
> fire_hydrant:coupling_type=UNI
>
> fire_hydrant:couplings=45;45;70
> OR
> fire_hydrant:couplings=2 x 45;70
> OR...?
So far it was really up to the contributor on OsmHydrant but the
recommended way in this case have been so far:
fire_hydrant:couplings=2x45/1x70

Before going on, I've to explain the rationale behind using that scheme
first. In Austria we're using character A for 110mm diameter, B for for
75mm and C for either 52 (or 42). In this case it looks easily readable:
"1B/2C" or "1A/2B".
When it comes to "2x45/1x70" I totally agree that "45;45;70" is much
better. Back in time when doing the implementation for OsmHydrant, I
didn't know about using the semicolon to split values, but I like it
more than the forward slash.

Coming back to the Austrian "1A/2B" I would additionally allow using
these characters instead of diameter values as well resulting in: "A;B;B"

If the proposal is accepted I'd propose migrating all values
automatically and changing OsmHydrant. Your scheme with repeating the
diameter is much better readable & parse-able by humans & tools.

Best regards,
Robert