My strategy in this kind of case is to add those driveways and virtual
crossings that are useful for routing purposes. So if there is a
junction, if there is a driveway opposite it, I will add that driveway
(or maybe just the part of the driveway upto the sidewalk), if there
is none, but people can cross there (in the case you describe: If
there is an interruption in the hedge), I add a footway from the
sidewalk to the junction, if neither is the case, I add the driveway
or crossing point that is closest to the junction (on both sides if
necessary).

André Engels, andreeng...@gmail.com