In the Github discussion referred to above, SimonPoole stated:

"Source tags on objects have not been considered good practice for a long
time (with some limited exceptions)."

Simon, I presume your intention is to strengthen the preference for using
source tags on changesets rather than on objects but I would like some
clarification.

I have used source:position and source:name on hundreds of objects I've
tagged. A given object can be located and named using a variety of sources
besides Bing; physical road signs, USGS Topo maps, personal surveys, etc.
I believe it's helpful for mappers who work in the same areas as me to know
where I got names and positions of objects.

Can you expand and clarify your comment for me?

Best regards,

Dave

On Sat, Jul 22, 2017 at 10:10 AM, Simon Poole <si...@poole.ch> wrote:

> On 22.07.2017 16:35, Pander wrote:
> > Rarely used tags also take up valuable space in apps such as Vespucci.
> >
> Just to clarify:  optional tags are, as the name says, optional and do
> not use screen real estate except if already in use, or explicitly added

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand