On Sun, Jul 23, 2017 at 09:09:10AM +0200, Marc Gemis wrote:
> As if a lazy mapper ever looks at the other tags before imposing their
> "I know it better practice" (or in case they do not know any better).
> For anyone doing a decent survey, the source tags are useless as they
> have found the truth on the ground.

Yes there are such vandals, and they will ignore everything.
But since i have used source tags, my work gets vandalised much less.

Furthermore, the changeset comments are pretty useless in this area.
When I am mapping in an unfamiliar area, I try to assess whether my
information is better than the current mapping. I use a rather accurate
gps unit, photography and gps tagged video as my primary data, usually
also checking on imagery, and the public gps traces. Obviously I check
on the source tags, and sometimes check the changeset comments if in
doubt. However, mapping already takes far too much time, and there is no
way that I am going to consult every changeset for each object I modify.
But I can't help seeing any source tag. They are needed!

> IMHO source tags are only useful for armchair mappers that  want to
> check other peoples work without going out and checking the reality.

As above, I need then to avoid trampling on other people's
work.

ael