Ok, what do you think about the following options then:

 * route:scope with local (urban?), regional, national
   (long_distance?), international
 * public_transport:stops with non_stop, limited and many (applies
   mostly to buses and trains)
 * public_transport:service with train_replacement, post, share_taxi,
   on_demand, school, tourism (for buses); high_speed, car, car_shuttle
   (for trains); other possible options for other route service types
 * public_transport:time with night, peak

I thought of public_transport instead of route because the latter three only apply to public transport routes, whereas scope could be used as replacement for the (different use of the) network tag on cycle and hiking routes.

Cheers!