I agree that tagging the entire lease area as landuse=industrial is not
correct. Part of the reason for posting is that I'm looking for alternative
ways to tag the large lease areas. Is there a boundary tag that someone can
suggest?

Also, someone suggested tagging the wellsite with man_made=petroleum_well.
This tag is meant to be for nodes representing a single well. The wellsites
in alaska can contain dozens of individual well heads so that tag is not
appropriate.

I have tagged the pipelines linking the wellsites with the processing
facilities as follows

man_made=pipeline
location=overground or underground
substance=oil
operator=ConocoPhillips

On Sun, Oct 15, 2017 at 7:09 PM, François Lacombe <fl.infosrese...@gmail.com
> wrote:

> Hi
>
> Additionnaly, it's recommended to use dedicated tag instead of
> industrial=* (or as general man_made)
> Eg. power substation are mapped as power=substation and not
> industrial=substation
> oil=wellsite sounds great
>
> Think about using man_made=pipeline + substance=oil to link wellsites to
> processing facilities
>
> All the best
>
> *François Lacombe*
>
> fl dot infosreseaux At gmail dot com
> www.infos-reseaux.com
> @InfosReseaux <http://www.twitter.com/InfosReseaux>

>> On Sunday 15 October 2017, Dave Swarthout wrote:
>> > I'm trying to determine the ideal tagging scenario for the many oil
>> > fields in the State of Alaska. The areas, which are large tracts of
>> > land leased from the State of Alaska, are typically very large
>> > (50-100 sq miles) and are mostly empty except for a few installations
>> > containing wellsites or pumping facilities for the raw petroleum.
>> > Consequently, all those installations are part of some larger leased
>> > and named tract.
>> >
>> > [...]
>>
>> The wiki page on landuse=industrial has some suggestions:
>>
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:landuse%3Dindustrial
>>
>> Also consider:
>>
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag%3Aman_made%3Dpetroleum_well
>>

>> Whatever you do - please do not tag the whole oil field as
>> landuse=industrial, only use that for the individual sites where there
>> is actual industrial infrastructure at the surface.
>>
>> --
>> Christoph Hormann
>> http://www.imagico.de/

Dave Swarthout