Tom - don't think I'm attacking you personally.
Just trying to get good practices for myself.

------------------

On 28-Oct-17 10:04 AM, Marco Boeringa wrote:
Warin,

Tom did not totally remove the reference to "building=stands", it is listed as discouraged on the new "building=grandstand" Wiki page.

As to "building=grandstand", although undocumented, I have seen this used on exactly the type of structure Tom included. Of course, the difference as to what constitutes a full stadium and / or just a grandstand is a bit vague, and users to some extent use them interchangeably. But in general, I have seen two uses:

- Used on a single "building=grandstand" that was the only feature around a playing field

- Used on individual sections of a full concentric "building=stadium", or multiple disjunct "building=grandstand" features surrounding the playing field.

Possibly 'stadium' needs to be resolved with 'grandstand'.
If the 'stadium' is simple a joined 'grandstand' them possibly 'stadium' needs to be discouraged?

Humm
The 'stadium' wikipedia definition includes the playing area (the pitch/track) so it is not just a building. My dictionary says it even includes the parking area. Another reason to discourage 'stadium'.

As I wrote in my first post, the tag itself is at least 4 years old, and maybe much longer. Just needed documentation, as Tom now did. Thanks Tom!

*** Tom, just one other remark:***

In the "Tagging mistakes" section, you referenced "building=stand", which also exists according to the TagInfo table next to it, but the original new tag I saw was "building=stands(!)" so plural (https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=building%3Dstands). I think you need to include this second discouraged tag as well... Currently, "building=stands" has even more uses (244) then "building=stand" (85)
And possibly now "building=stadium"?

Marco