I don't think arguments as "is the more generic term" are all that convincing in the context of OSM. There are quite a number of cases in OSM where a well established tag with proper documentation may not always have the most "appropriate" name for its key or value. I think the current changes by Tom are OK, based on the general knowledge of seeing the type of structures edited with "building=grandstand", and based on the original new description of the "building=stands" tag, including stadium photo and referring to "big tribunes". So I don't think these features, if tagged with "building=stands", were supposed to signify something entirely different from the now documented "building=grandstand".

And although I referred to building=stadium and building=grandstand used somewhat interchangeably, building=stadium is generally more used for entire concentric or enclosed structures including all additional facilities of a true sports stadium, while the building=grandstand is more for individual and somewhat smaller grandstand structures not surrounding an entire playing field.

To be honest, I would leave it for now, I think they are distinct enough to maintain as separate tags. As stated above, I think the current edit is OK in the context of what I've seen.

Marco