> Hi,
>
> My own view of the building tag is that it notes what the building looks
> like to someone on the ground. If it's a fairly generic building then
> obviously the current use is a fairly good indicator. Something like a
> church or pub though often still retains the characteristics of that type
> of building even when internally converted. As long as it still externally
> looks like a church or pub that is what I tag the building as.

I agree with the idea that the overall look and feel is more important than
the actual inner structure. Let me give an example which some might know:
Hamburger Bahnhof in Berlin. It was built as a train station and operating
as such from 1846 to 1884.
This is what it looks today:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/7/7c/Hamburger_Bahnhof_%E2%80%93_Museum_f%C3%BCr_Gegenwart_%E2%80%93_Berlin%2C_Germany_-_20160615-02.jpg

Clearly, that still looks like a train station, although it isn't used for
railway for more than 130 years.

In the inside, you see the result of the latest restructuring completed in
1996 (now it is a museum for contemporary art):
https://www.google.it/search?q=commons+hamburger+bahnhof&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiW_LCL-pXYAhXIAsAKHYZvDAoQ_AUICygC&biw=1920&bih=985#imgrc=WWiFk-D3cThMNM
:

I would tag the building as
building=train_station