"Amenity= drinking_water is non specific. It does not tell me if I can
drink directly from it (I can from a man_made=drinking_fountain), fill a
water bottle without trouble (I can from a man_made=tag,
drinking_water=yes), fill a caravan water tank (I and from a
amenity=water_point) .. etc etc. People did not want to add subtags to
amenity=drinking_water as you have done because some of these features
have sings that say drinking_water=no, to have a feature with
amenity=drinking_water, drinking_water=no is not good! ."

I think that man_made=drinking_fountain is subtag man_made=tap.
man_made=drinking_fountain is very different from amenity=fountain. See
how it works.

"drinking_water=no is not good." you're right,
 but removing drinking_water=no would require removing completely
drinking_water=* which is rather not the best thing for many reasons.
You can always describe in the wiki that man_made=drinking_fountain do
not require drinking_water=yes because in all cases the water comes from
 a safe source.
You also have tags like drinking_water:legal=no/yes

I think it would be worth adding a tag if the water is really harmful
hazard=poison (in the sense of water contaminated permanently, for
example: salt, heavy metals, radiation, chemicals)

Regard
Slavo