On 13-Jan-18 08:58 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer wrote:

sent from a phone

On 12. Jan 2018, at 22:30, Mateusz Konieczny <matkoni...@gmail.com> wrote:

And that
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:man_made%3Ddrinking_fountain is
used only 36 times worldwide?

The frequency of use is,in part, determined by how long it has existed on the
wiki,
how well 'advertised' by links on other wiki pages, and how well known the tag
is.

Removing amenity=drinking_water and replacing it with
man_made=water_tap or man_made=drinking_fountain is not an edit that
should be made.

As a person who added some of these amenity=drinking_water in the past I feel
that changing the ones I have added a better tag of,
say, man_made=drinking_fountain is justified ... that is what is specifically
there.

Further .. if I find a drinking fountain at a place that has been tagged with
amenity=drinking_water,
possibly a long time before the existence of man_made=drinking_fountain ..
should it not be changed to a more specific tag???
I don't see adding details to past tagging as detrimental.
Should I stop changing residential areas to construction where that takes place?
Or from construction to residential/commercial? No.

Changing the tag to something else where it has changed or adds detail should
not be discouraged, in fact it should be encouraged!

+1, please keep in mind that the wiki is documenting what people are doing, not
what they should do (the latter is done in proposals ;-) )

The wiki documents what people use, not necessarily things that have been
proposed ... eg office, shops etc.