19b350d2-b1b3-4edb-ad96-288ea1238...@gmx.com>:

> It would be a pity to not do justice to the artwork element in this sort
> of pavement.
>
> Not sure what to suggest however, but maybe something with
> artwork_type=mosaic ? [1]
>
> [1] https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/tags/artwork_type=mosaic

I agree that it seems interesting to add not only one of the established
generic surface tags, but to also give a hint that it is a kind of mosaic /
iconic depiction. Still, I would not call it "artwork" or
"artwork_type=mosaic" in the case that was referenced above, as it isn't
"art" (IMHO), similarly as a plaque on a wall is not generally a
"painting". I'd rather subtype the surface value to something specific like
paving_stones=portugese_pavement

In this context, I'd also change the definition of "surface=paving_stones"
to account for this case. Currently it reads:
"... The gaps between the paving stones are smaller because the stones have
a perfectly regular shape (rectangular, or any surface-filling shape)."
this is not logical, and I believe is not what is intended: the stones
don't have to "perfectly regular shape[d] (rectangular, or any
surface-filling shape)". they could just as well be irregularly shaped,
what is important is that there aren't big gaps, IMHO the above definition
could be like this: ""... The gaps between individual paving stones are
very narrow, either because the stones have a perfectly regular shape
(rectangular, or any surface-filling shape) or because they have been
carefully selected, fitted and placed in order to form an even, closed
surface." (or something similar).

Cheers,
Martin